Tuesday, July 24, 2007

responses from the BB

i posted the question "have you ever laid hands on a sick person?" on the Jan Karon bulletin board and got these interesting responses:

Member


 - posted 07-23-2007 03:09 PM Profile for BevLawrence Send New Private Message Edit/Delete Post Reply With Quote
I have never personally laid hands on someone. But a friend of mine had the pastor and deacons over one time and they laid hands on her. This was a shock to me because I had never heard of Baptist doing this, but my pastor said he felt that it was Biblical.

Good to see you posting here again.

Bev

Posts: 4529 | From: Grand Rapids, Michigan | Registered: Jul 2004 | IP: Logged
LauraCmomof2
Member


 - posted 07-23-2007 03:15 PM Profile for LauraCmomof2 Send New Private Message Edit/Delete Post Reply With Quote
2 weeks ago all the mom's who were at my girl's bible study laid hands on as we praid for a little boy going into the hospital to have his tonsils removed.
L

Posts: 3766 | From: NY | Registered: Aug 2005 | IP: Logged
Gentle1
Member


 - posted 07-23-2007 03:25 PM Profile for Gentle1 Send New Private Message Edit/Delete Post Reply With Quote
Yes, I have laid hands on sick people in prayer and with the anointing of oil. It is a practice rooted in the Bible and should not involve anything "weird" or scary. I have myself been healed in this way, as has my husband when he had congestive heart failure. I have been witness to other healings as a result of the laying on of hands, also. It is all done according to God's will, though, and not all outcomes have been what I would have liked to see. He knows best and never makes mistakes.

Blessing,
Myrna Joy

Posts: 1977 | From: Marysville, Washington | Registered: Feb 2002 | IP: Logged
Do_Good
Member


 - posted 07-23-2007 03:28 PM Profile for Do_Good Send New Private Message Edit/Delete Post Reply With Quote
My husband had a serious head injury in 1998. He was really out of it and I called on the elders of our church to come and lay hands on him as it is written in
James 5:14-16
14 Is any one of you sick? He should call the elders of the church to pray over him and anoint him with oil in the name of the Lord. 15 And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise him up. If he has sinned, he will be forgiven. 16Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.

In a matter of less than 10 minutes, he was completely healed. By that time, all the elders had left so we called each one of them. One of them said he had just told his wife, "That family is in big trouble."

So, even though he didn't have any faith that his prayer would heal my husband, the Lord healed him anyway. I have known people who have been prayed over in just the same way and they did not get better. What does this say to me? It says that the Lord decides who will be healed and who won't be healed - we just need to obey His word. Whether we get healed or not, God is true and faithful.

Now, my husband just had a stroke in November. He is still not well enough to go back to work. This time, since he is coherent, he needs to be the one to make the request. He is too despondent, too downtrodden, too heavy hearted to call. Would you pray that he would call??? Even if his body is not healed, I believe he will have a spiritual healing.

Thanks,
Jane

Posts: 84 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Jan 2007 | IP: Logged
Gentle1
Member


 - posted 07-23-2007 03:44 PM Profile for Gentle1 Send New Private Message Edit/Delete Post Reply With Quote
Yes, Jane, I will join you in praying for your husband to get the help he needs--spiritually, physically, and emotionally.

Blessings,
Myrna Joy

Posts: 1977 | From: Marysville, Washington | Registered: Feb 2002 | IP: Logged
JulieAnn
Member


 - posted 07-23-2007 04:11 PM Profile for JulieAnn Send New Private Message Edit/Delete Post Reply With Quote
In prayer for your Dear Husband, Jane! Love, Julie
Posts: 10163 | From: Michigan | Registered: Nov 2005 | IP: Logged
DUTCHY3
Member


 - posted 07-23-2007 04:16 PM Profile for DUTCHY3 Send New Private Message Edit/Delete Post Reply With Quote
My Omi (grandma) has done this. With my uncle when he was in pain. He told my mom that he could feel the pain go away as soon as my grandma laid her hands on the painful spot. And she also has done it with my mom as well.

And I believe with me when I was small, I can remember a little bit. But am not sure if it was for pain or for comfort. I know I always felt at ease with her, always peaceful. She had a sort of "aura" around her what made you feel at home and peaceful.

[ 07-23-2007, 04:18 PM: Message edited by: DUTCHY3 ]

Posts: 3186 | From: somewhere on God's beautiful earth | Registered: Jan 2007 | IP: Logged
applesofgold
Member


 - posted 07-23-2007 05:00 PM Profile for applesofgold Send New Private Message Edit/Delete Post Reply With Quote
Laying on of hands is fairly well practiced where I go to church.

A story of interest?

I had to have my appendix removed when I was 14 weeks pregnant and was in a great deal of danger. My pastor was present when the doctor and OBGYN came in together to tell me about what needed to happen immediately. Of course, panic set in. My pastor asked if we all could pray...doctors included. And we did. He layed hands on me, and after he prayed for me, then he held the hands of the doctors and prayed that God would use their hands to heal me and my baby.

And of course, He did.

I believe that God can heal. I also believe that he can use other people to heal.

Love, Jenny

Posts: 1974 | From: NC | Registered: Oct 2005 | IP: Logged
BevLawrence
Member


 - posted 07-23-2007 05:07 PM Profile for BevLawrence Send New Private Message Edit/Delete Post Reply With Quote
Oh, Jane, of course I will be in prayer for you and your husband. God knows what is best in every circumstance and we need to let God be God and let Him work His will in our lifes.

I pray for you on a daily basis, my friend. I pray for healing of your husband both physically and spiritually. And of your marriage.

I pray that God will give you His peace and wrap His Loving arms around you.

Bev

Posts: 4529 | From: Grand Rapids, Michigan | Registered: Jul 2004 | IP: Logged
OkieLiz
Member


 - posted 07-23-2007 05:54 PM Profile for OkieLiz Send New Private Message Edit/Delete Post Reply With Quote
When my dh was a Baptist pastor, he became very ill. He called our church Deacons (we did not have the office of Elders) and asked them to lay hands on him and annoint him with oil. They refused! (Not the Baptist way) He called the Assembly of God pastor, that we were friends with, and asked him to come. He came right over, and within one hour, dh was weak, but up. He was back to work the next day, completely healed.

Just to show you that all Baptists are not that way. The church we attend now has people come to the front in every service, during a general congregational prayer time. Many times, someone will ask specifically for people to pray for them and many people in the church go down, surround them, touch them and pray for them. The whole prayer time usually only lasts 5 minutes and the congregation is bowed in prayer themselves. Sometimes the singing will start and there are still a few down front still praying, but the service continues. It is not weird, but might be for people that are not used to it.

Jane, have you asked your husband if you may call for him? Do you think that if you called the pastor and he came and asked him if he would like to be prayed over, that he would say yes?

I will pray about his depression, physical and spiritual needs, and for you as you are dealing with uncertainity.

Liz

Posts: 3261 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Jan 2006 | IP: Logged
JanThr
Member


 - posted 07-23-2007 09:14 PM Profile for JanThr Send New Private Message Edit/Delete Post Reply With Quote
Yes, I'm used to and believe in laying hands on the ill and praying for their needs.

Continue to pray for you, Andrea.

Jane, praying for you and your dh.

Hugs,
Jan

Posts: 20743 | From: Top of Texas | Registered: Oct 2002 | IP: Logged
mommyaprilj
Member


 - posted 07-23-2007 09:30 PM Profile for mommyaprilj Send New Private Message Edit/Delete Post Reply With Quote
In the Catholic faith, this is called Annointing of the Sick, my friend had surgery recently and at her Annointing during Mass, almost the entire community gathered to celebrate Mass came forward with a kiss or a touch on the shoulder for her.
Posts: 179 | From: New Mexico | Registered: Jan 2006 | IP: Logged
bluejeans
Member


 - posted 07-24-2007 12:21 AM Profile for bluejeans Send New Private Message Edit/Delete Post Reply With Quote
Jane, praying for your husband.

I know it is not the same as laying on of hands, but when I make soup or something for sick friends (which is not as often as I should!) I put lots of prayers for healing and nourishment into the recipe - as I put the ingredients in and stir them around and so forth.

Peace,
Kathy

[ 07-24-2007, 12:24 AM: Message edited by: bluejeans ]

Posts: 4906 | From: Australia | Registered: Mar 2003 | IP: Logged
mollyanna
Member


 - posted 07-24-2007 12:29 AM Profile for mollyanna Send New Private Message Edit/Delete Post Reply With Quote
This is quite common in my circle of Christian fellowship. The Bible instructs the laying on of hands. God is good.

Dixie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home